She was elected president of the International Association for Feminist Economists in 2002, and has been an associate editor of the journal Feminist Economics since 1995.
In addition to numerous articles, reports, reviews and books chapters, Folbre has published the following books:
- (with Randy Albelda and the Center for Popular Economics.) The War on the Poor: A Defense Manual. New York: The New Press, 1996.
- (with James Heintz and the Center for Popular Economics). The Ultimate Field Guide to the U.S. Economy. New York: The New Press, 2000
- The Invisible Heart: Economics and Family Values. New York: The New Press, 2001.
- Family Time: The Social Organization of Care. New York: Routledge, 2004
- Greed, Lust and Gender: A History of Economic Ideas. Oxford University Press, November 2009